In Honored Glory
In Honored Glory, Arlington National Cemetery: The Final Post
Fourth Edition by Philip Bigler
With over 225,000 copies in print.
“Bigler’s writing is an engaging blend of palpable respect for his subject and objectivity… readers will be moved as well as informed.” – Small Press Book Review
This definitive history of Arlington National Cemetery is told with the dignity, respect, and pageantry that is due to one of America’s most honored and deeply revered sites. Historian and nationally recognized educator, Philip Bigler has created a classic as he presents Arlington to the reader.
Completely up-to-date with expanded coverage on ceremonial units and events, including the:
• Caisson platoon
• Women in Military Service Memorial
• Identification and disinterment of the Vietnam Unknown
• 9/11 and the war on terrorism
• Other new developments since the publication of the third edition in 1999.
In Honored Glory brings to life the history, happenings, people, and highlights that have combined to make Arlington National Cemetery a uniquely American institution. Other topics covered:
• A thorough history of the development of the cemetery over time
• The origins of Memorial Day
• The construction of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and the subsequent history of interments
• A chapter on the Kennedy gravesite
• The current burial requirements